Monday, March 08, 2010

Just thinking about the future, by Cláudia Leite 11ºB

My English lesson made me think. We were talking about career choices and I realized that I don’t know what I want to be. Well, I’m sure I don’t want to be a doctor or an engineer or a nurse, but I don’t have any idea of what I want to become in the near future. Actually, I don’t even want to go to the university. I don’t see myself within two or three years with lots of heavy books under my arm, walking on the campus of some university in some part of the country. And believe me, I should be worried about this issue because heavy books are what I love the most and lots of them is even better. But I’m not excited; it doesn’t make me feel good or anxious. Only makes me feel bad, sad and I start losing my hope. Please, don’t ask me why because I don’t know the answer for that question. The only thing I know is “I want to give up”.
My English teacher said, today: “Cláudia, if YOU want to give up, what would your friends do?” Here is my answer: “I know, teacher, the skills I have, I know my grades, but they are falling down. And that’s what I want to do. Just quit.”
Portugal should have a “gap year”. That would be really good. I know what I would do in that case. I would go to England work as a babysitter, for example, and think about my future. When I came back, I would decide what I would do. I think that would help me.
I can’t stay on this situation. I have to start thinking about my future. I just have one more year to think and a year goes so fast.
Though I am so undecided, I have a few ideas. Like I said before, medicine and engineering is out of the question. And with my recent experience on lectures, which I loved, I was wondering if I could do something where I interact with people. But I think I’m not on the right area. I should go to human sciences. But I’m not going back now. It’s a little bit too late. Probably later I can be back.
I don’t know what to do. I am so confused and the idea of giving up still appears like the light at the end of the tunnel, the huge and dark tunnel which is my life. And though I know that giving up is the best solution, I know it’s the worst, it is so seductive…

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Cláudia

I understand your doubts, I understand that for you "Nothing but the best is good enough" and you always want the best marks! I know that you are disappointed with some results, that's why you feel this way. It is just a period in time, just a bad moment. Everything is going to turn out just fine! Because you are hard working and you know your abilities. You can have a gap year if you want, as long as your parents allow it...

Try to relax a little and look at the future with a smile. Be positive and keep working hard!Good luck (luck is always needed, too!)

Huge kiss from your teacher and admirer!

Lau said...

Thank you, tacher, for your support. I hope this is just a period of my life and this will go away. Honestly, it's what I want. Though all my doubts, I will always try to be better and give my best for that. I'll do whatever it takes to reach my goals.

Kiss

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.