Wednesday, April 07, 2010

It was only a matter of time, by Cláudia Leite

It was only a matter of time. She knew that. She felt it deep inside of her. Though she didn’t want to leave, she wasn’t afraid. She sat down on her bed, closed her eyes and began to remember.
They were friends for a long time. She couldn’t remember one single fight they had. Everybody wanted a friendship like that one but when they were told about this, they just smiled. They were always together; they didn’t keep secrets from each other and, sometimes, it was just too perfect to believe that was true.
One day, they went to the cinema together and, at the end of the film, they decided to go for a walk. They were talking about the movie they have just seen and they started to talk about the moment they met. Years have passed since that day but it seemed like it was yesterday.
- You’ve changed my life and I love you. – she suddenly said.
He stopped walking and gazed into her eyes. – You love me?! Uau…
- You look surprised. – she looked down to the floor.
- Yeah. More than a lot.
- I had no idea. I thought I was just another one.
- No, you’re not. You know you aren’t.
- Why?
- Because you’ve changed my life. And a person who does that can’t be just another one. You aren’t just another one. Did you understand?
- Yes, I did. But I changed your life in the past, when we met. Now I do nothing.
- You mean a lot to me. – she started to be nervous with him. They sat on a park bench. – I still love you. You’ll be always in my heart. No matter if you want to or not. I can’t take you away from there.
- I know. And you represent exactly the same to me. But it was some years ago. Now I’m nothing. I belong to your past.
She started losing her patience. – So, following that kind of thoughts, I’m nothing for you too. Am I right?
- No, you’re wrong. I’m different than everybody. I live in the past.
- So do I. You mean a lot to me. Believe it.
He kissed her cheek. – You’re so cute.
- See what you made me to say. I hate saying this kind of stupid things.
- Oh, don’t say that. The world is starting to miss good feelings and people like you.
She blushed a little. – Don’t say that. I’m like the others. I’m just another one walking on this world. And when I leave it no one will remember me. I’m just another one that spent a few years walking on this earth.
- If no one remembers you after your death that’s because I’m already dead. But I will expect you on heaven’s door.
- Don’t forget what you’re saying because I won’t. And if I’ll go first I will be there waiting for you.
- I hope you keep your promise. One of my qualities is having good memory.
- And if you go to hell, I’ll go with you. Because since you were there, every single place becomes perfect.
- God. Now I don’t know what to say. Thank you.
- No, don’t say that. Say anything but that. You can’t thank me for being honest. But it’s true. You’re really important to me, more than I could ever think or want to. – she had tears in her eyes. She meant every single word she said.
- I’m completely lost by now. All I have to say is thank you. You left me with no words.
She remembered that talk so clearly. It showed how strong their friendship was. She didn’t want him to suffer but she couldn’t do anything to avoid what was about to happen.
She still was in her bed, with her eyes closed and grabbed her mobile phone. She only had time to text something before her last sigh. She left so quietly that no one realized what had happened. Somehow, she already knew that was going to happen.
On that moment, he was on his bedroom, playing computer games. He heard his phone ringing, announcing a text message. He didn’t want to stop what he was doing but after a few seconds he read the message. It was short but left him dead inside:

“I’ll be waiting for you. Never forget me. Love you.”

This message was enough. Deep inside, he knew what happened. It all made sense on his head. Like her, he remembered the talk they had had on that park bench. And he didn’t have to wait a lot to have the confirmation. His phone was ringing again. It was her mother.
- Hi. Listen, I don’t have good news for you… - she seemed to be a little bit confused, as if she didn’t know what to say.
- I already know what happened.
- How? – she seemed surprised. – I mean, how do you know if I and her father are the only ones who do?
- I just did. I felt it. She sent me a text message saying goodbye.
- A typical attitude from her. Well, come here when you can.
- I will. Bye.
- Bye.
He hung up. How could the world be so unfair? She didn’t deserve that and now he was alone. What was he going to do now? He lost his friend, his partner, his everything… And he could never get her back. He grabbed his coat and left home. He wanted to be alone and went straight to the bench where they had had that talk. If the stories his grandmother told them about the ghosts coming back to watch out the ones they cared the most were true, so she could only be there. He laid down on the bench, looked at the sky and even without realizing it he was talking, he said, like he was answering to the message she had sent him:
- Wait for me, sweetie, I’ll soon be there with you. You’ll always be in my heart and I will never, ever, forget you. And love you too, with every single cell in my body.
He stopped talking and closed his eyes. The tears flowed freely on his face.

Cláudia Leite 11ºB

1 comment:

Beatriz said...

This is a really great text!
Big Kisses!:)